|NORTH TURKEYFOOT REDEVELOPMENT AREA
|Urban Redevelopment Plan
- DESCRIPTION OF THE NORTH TURKEYFOOT REDEVELOPMENT
The North Turkeyfoot Redevelopment Area is located in the Township of Coventry, County of
Summit, State of Ohio. The redevelopment area consists of 38+ acres. It fronts on Vaughn
Road, Turkeyfoot Road, and South Main Street.
- STATEMENT OF DEVELOPMENT OBJECTIVES
The general goal of the City of Akron, in undertaking this project, is to promote light
industrial development and the creation of manufacturing employment opportunities within
the Redevelopment Area by correcting physical conditions and problems which have hampered
development. To carry out this goal, the City's proposed objective is to provide a quality
industrial park setting within the North Turkeyfoot Redevelopment Area, creating new jobs
and business development opportunities for long-term growth in the Akron-Coventry area.
- Land Use Objective
- Enhance the viability of the project area by encouraging
land uses which are of an industrial type and are compatible with major industrial
developments in the vicinity.
- Prohibit uses which are incompatible and not of an
industrial nature and which would detract from the viable development of the area.
- Provide for suitable buffer areas between new industrial
uses and neighboring residential uses.
- Environmental Objectives
- Develop an attractive and visually improved environment
consistent with the standards of quality industrial parks within this region.
- Improve the functional and physical condition of the project
- Provide for adequate drainage of the area with the
installation of storm sewers.
- Public Improvement Objectives
- Provide the public improvements necessary to overcome or to
correct the development problems of the project area.
- Support development of a modern industrial park capable of
increasing jobs and revenue for the area.
- Expand public access, utilities, and storm water management
systems to prepare the remaining land for development.
- Circulation Objectives
- Provide for safe and efficient movement of people, goods and
services with vehicular access to, from, and within the North Turkeyfoot Redevelopment
- Develop a road system to serve the area which provides the
most efficient access to remaining developable parcels within the project area.
- Economic Development Objectives
- Increase the number of employment opportunities within the
Akron Metropolitan Area.
- Utilize added tax revenues generated by new construction in
the Redevelopment Area for the construction of needed public improvements.
- Encourage private investment and the development of a modern
light industrial park within the North Turkeyfoot Redevelopment Area and the
- PROPOSED REDEVELOPMENT ACTIONS
- Land Use and Zoning
- Land Use Plan
- The site is within a designated City of Akron-Coventry
Township Joint Economic Development District. It is currently vacant. Until recently, it
was used as a golf driving range and a sand and gravel operation
- Recommended land use includes commercial, light industrial
and office activity.
- Existing Zoning
All development shall conform to the pertinent sections of the Coventry Township zoning
regulations and specifically to Article 14.00 - "C" Commercial-Industrial
District Regulations as they exist at the adoption of this Plan. Zoning for the former
sand and gravel operation is I for industrial use; zoning for the former golf driving
range is B-3 for office uses.
- Proposed Zoning
Zoning for the Redevelopment Area will be unchanged.
- Land Sale or Lease
Land within the North Turkeyfoot Industrial Park will be available for sale or lease on
terms determined by the City of Akron.
All utilities and the access road are to be provided by the City of Akron. Extension of
water services and street construction is expected to begin in 2000.
- Redeveloper Obligations for Land Purchased or Leased from
the City of Akron
- All development shall conform to the pertinent sections of
the Coventry Township zoning regulations as defined at the time of the adoption of this
Redevelopment Plan and specifically to Article 14.00 - "C" Commercial-Industrial
- In addition, any development must conform to the guidelines
listed in Section D below.
Architectural and site plans for construction of all improvements shall be submitted for
review by the Urban Design & Historic Preservation Commission at the time of the
original sale or lease of industrial park parcels and approved by Akron City Planning
Commission prior to commencement of construction. In undertaking the review, the following
will be taken into consideration:
- The conformity of the proposed development to the general
objectives of this Redevelopment Plan and the development standards set forth herein.
- The conformity of the proposed development to the specific
controls and regulations of this Redevelopment Plan.
- The extent to which the proposed development meets any other
regulations, controls or other objectives established for this project by the City of
- Review and approval will be specifically concerned with, but
not limited to, site planning, architectural layout, materials of construction,
landscaping, access and advertising, and identification signs.
- It is expressly understood that approval of any plans by the
Akron City Planning Commission applies to any and all features shown thereon, and that any
subsequent additions, deletions or other modifications thereof are required to be
submitted by the redeveloper before construction of such modifications can begin.
- Land owned or acquired by the City of Akron will be subject
to a Land Disposition Agreement or a Ground Lease Agreement between the City and the
- The developer shall begin and complete the development of
land conveyed by a disposition or lease agreement between the City of Akron and the
developer. All such development shall conform to uses and construction of improvements
permitted by the plan. All such construction shall begin within 12 months from the date of
- Development Standards
The City of Akron, through this Redevelopment Plan, requires the following additional
- All manufacturing, processing, crating, and uncrating
service and repair operations shall be conducted within completely enclosed buildings.
- All outdoor storage areas shall be screened from view by
solid walls or solid fences or landscaping at least six feet in height.
- All sides of the building fronting on public streets shall
be faced with brick, stone, split rock, or other similar approved facing material. All
remaining sides shall be faced with similar material to a minimum height of eight feet
above ground. Exterior side walls may be of another material if a building expansion is
planned and provided for. In that event, the permanent walls after the expansion shall
conform to this section.
- Permitted signage shall consist of flush mounted building
signs and freestanding signs less than six feet in height. Pole signs and internally
illuminated acrylic panel signs shall not be permitted. Where possible, freestanding signs
shall incorporate a masonry base that matches materials and colors used in the building
construction. Freestanding signs shall be set back a minimum of ten (10) feet behind the
street right of way.
- All parking and drives shall be paved and curbed. 6" x
18" reinforced concrete curb is recommended. Extruded asphalt curb and wood curb in
- The majority of the parking spaces required for the use are
to be located at the side or rear of the structure, behind the building line. The area
between the parking areas and the street right of way shall be landscaped in accordance
with "Landscape Screening Requirements for Parking Lots," available from the
City of Akron Department of Planning and Urban Development, Zoning Division.
- OTHER DEVELOPMENT PROVISIONS
- Duration of the Redevelopment Plan Restrictions
The Redevelopment Plan and/or any modification thereof shall be in force and effect for a
period of 30 years from the date of approval of this Redevelopment Plan by the City of
Akron. The termination of this Redevelopment Plan shall in no way permit the project land
or any part thereof to be restricted on the basis of race, creed, color, sex or national
origin in the scale, use, or occupancy thereof; nor shall it permit the practice of
discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, or national origin.
- Provisions for Amended Approved Plan
This Redevelopment Plan may be amended from time to time upon approval by the City
Planning Commission and City Council.
- VI. LEGISLATION TO BE UTILIZED TO FULFILL PLAN
Ohio Revised Code: Urban Redevelopment Tax Increment Equivalent (Section 5709.41 to
Tax increment financing, as permitted by the provisions of the above statutes, will assist
the City in paying for the public improvements or other necessary activity which will be
undertaken within the North Turkeyfoot Redevelopment Area and other public improvements
necessary to accomplish the goals for the City's General Plan. Sections 5709.41 to 5709.43
permit the City to declare that improvements made on real property owned by the City and
leased to a developer to be a "public purpose" and exempt from real property
taxation for up to 30 years. The City can thereafter require the owner of any structure
constructed on the parcel to make annual service payments in-lieu-of taxes to the City.
FAQ | Forms | Housing & Community Programs