Akron Water Bill Assistance Program
The City of Akron is launching the Akron Water Bill Assistance Program to help Akron residents struggling with their utility bills. The application will not be available until January 1, 2024. Please check back then to apply.
This is an ongoing, monthly assistance program for Akron Residents (homeowners and tenants) with a household income at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines or who have a Homestead Exemption. Residents eligible for the program will receive a 40% discount on the drinking water portion of their Akron Utility bill.
Eligibility for the Akron Water Bill Assistance Program
Akron residents are eligible if they are a recipient of the Summit County Homestead Exemption, they have received a Home Energy Assistance Program letter of participation, or they have a Percentage of Income Payment Plus letter of participation. The City of Akron will use either: (1) HEAP or a Percentage of Income Payment Plus (PIPP) letter of participation or (2) verification of receipt of Summit County Homestead Exemption to determine eligibility for the program.
These programs are open to Ohioans with a household income at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines. The application process is managed by the Ohio Department of Development and local Energy Assistance Providers, such as Akron/Summit Community Action, Inc.
The Summit County Homestead Exemption is available to the following:
- Homeowners over the age of 65;
- Homeowners who are permanently and totally disabled;
- Military veterans who have either received a total disability rating for service-connected disabilities, or received a total disability rating for compensation for service-connected disabilities based on a determination of individual unemployability;
- Homeowners already receiving the Homestead Exemption, who have recently changed residences; and
- The spouse of a fallen first responder who passes away in the line of duty.
How to Apply
- If utilizing the HEAP or PIPP method of eligibility, apply through the Ohio Department of Development by:
- Filling out an online application: https://development.ohio.gov/individual/energy-assistance/apply-now-energy-assistance-programs;
- Apply in person or over the phone through Akron/Summit Community Action, Inc. at (330) 436-0261 or 55 East Mill Street, Akron, Ohio 44309;
- Apply by Mail by downloading an application and sending all required documents to: Energy Assistance Programs, P.O. Box 1240, Columbus, Ohio 43216.
- If utilizing the Homestead Exemption and you have not yet applied for the exemption, follow Summit County’s instructions to apply for the Exemption.
STEP 2: Once your Homestead Exemption or HEAP or PIPP participation is confirmed:
- Applications will open January 1, 2024. After that day, if using HEAP or PIPP eligibility, fill out the application which will be available on this page.
- The application can be returned by email, U.S. Mail, or fax as follows:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: 1180 S. Main Street, Suite 110, Akron, Ohio 44301
- Fax: (330) 375-2308
- If using Homestead Exemption eligibility, the City can verify eligibility without an application. Please call (330) 375-2554 if you have a Homestead Exemption, but are not receiving the Utility Bill Assistance discount on the water portion of your Akron Utility Bill.
- If using Homestead Exemption eligibility, the City can verify eligibility without an application. Please call (330) 375-2554 if you have a Homestead Exemption, but are not receiving the Water Bill Assistance discount on the water portion of your Akron Utility Bill.
Residents may apply at any time after January 1, 2024. The City of Akron will contact participants at least annually to verify continued eligibility.
Questions? Call (330) 375-2554
To estimate what your new bill will be, please use the city's calculator tool below. You can plug in your current HCF usage, your meter size, and choose your jurisdiction to find out what your new bill will be.