The City of Akron provides trash and recycling collection once a week to residents of one, two, and three family freestanding residential units.
Report a Problem
To report a problem or request another cart, click the button above or call 3-1-1 from a landline phone or (330) 375-2311 from a cell phone.
On the following upcoming dates, Trash and Recycling collection will not be performed. Collection will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 16th
- Memorial Day, May 29th
- Independence Day, July 4th
- Labor Day, September 4th
- Thanksgiving Day, November 23rd
- Christmas Day, December 25th
For the entire year's schedule, please click here.
FIND YOUR COLLECTION DAY:
Click the button below for an interactive map to determine your trash and recycling collection day. You may zoom to your area if your mouse has a dial. You may also type your address in the box and it will zoom to your location. The legend is on the right to show your collection day.
Collection Day Map
HOW TO USE OUR SERVICE:
- You must use the city issued carts for trash and recycling, no other containers or trash cans will be emptied
- Trash must be bagged and placed in the trash cart
- You may request an additional cart to use for a one time $50 charge
- Carts must be placed on the curb by 4:30 a.m. on your collection day
- Carts must be at least 3 feet apart
- Cart lids must be fully closed, without being overloaded
- Carts must be removed from the curb by 6:00 p.m.. that evening
- Items not permitted in your trash and recycle carts are: hot ashes, hazardous waste, roofing material, concrete, plaster, dirt, sand, gravel, bricks, drywall and demolition/construction materials
DISPOSING OF ITEMS THAT DO NOT FIT INTO YOUR CART:
We offer disposal of unwanted items that will not fit into your cart such as couches and refrigerators or a large volume of trash such as after moving or cleaning out your basement through our bulk pick up option.
Special Bulk Volume Pick Up:
You must preschedule a pick up if you have a large amount of bags, boxes, or trash after cleaning out your house, basement, garage, or moving out. Each home will be allowed 3 Special Bulk Volume Pickups per year.
Most importantly, you MUST pre-schedule this pick up at least 1 working day before your collection day. Do not place the trash on your curb until 4:30 p.m. the day before your collection day. Please pre-schedule by calling our 3-1-1 Call Center by dialing 3-1-1 from a landline phone inside the city or at 330-375-2311 from a cell phone.
TRASH & RECYCLING ASSISTANCE:
If you have a medical condition that keeps you from being able to place your carts at the curb and you don't have anyone that can assist, we want to help!
Please click here to print the form. After completing your information, you will need to have your physician sign and verify your condition. Then send it to the address on the bottom. If you have any questions, please call the 3-1-1 Call Center.
For hours of operation or to view your account online, please click here to visit the billing office website.
- Trash & Recycling FAQ
- Home Health Services
- 2018 - To Collect and Serve
- 2020 Curb Service Rates
- 2021 - Curbside Assistance Form
- 2023 - Curbservice Holiday Schedule
Glass Recycling Drop Off Bins
The City of Akron has launched a glass recycling drop off program in the City of Akron. The purple recycling bins will be available in five locations: Diamond Crystal Ballfield (2175 Edwin Ave.), Akron’s Dog Park (499 Memorial Parkway), Behind Spaghetti Warehouse (510 S. Main), Goodyear Heights Metroparks (1950 Eastwood), and Goodpark Golf Course (530 Nome Ave.). The city will accept all clean food and beverage glass bottles in the recycling bins. Glass will NOT be accepted in curbside recycling carts.
Here's How To Recycle Glass in Akron:
- Gather your glass jars and bottles – no need to remove labels.
- Wash them out and remove any caps or corks.
- Find the nearest City of Akron bin near you using this map.
- Drop your glass in the bin.
The following items are acceptable for glass recycling:
Glass food jars
Spirit and wine, beer, & champagne bottles
Non-alcoholic beverage glass bottles
The following items are NOT Acceptable for glass recycling:
Heat-resistant glass (e.g., Pyrex)
For more information on the program please visit the city’s Engage page here.