Plans And Permits

The City of Akron will continue to issue permits for the following:

  • Sanitary/Storm Sewer Permits
  • In-ground/Above Ground Pool Permits
  • Grading/Paving Permits
  • Razing Permit
  • ROW Permits
  • Street Occupancy Permits
  • Over Sized Load Permits
  • Valet Parking Permits
  • Sidewalk Café Permits
  • Pit Bull Registration and Tags
1030 E. Tallmadge Ave., Akron, OH  44310
7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Fax: 330-375-2102

Plan Review And Permit Web Portal

Enter Portal

The new link for the plan review web portal is located above.  If you have an existing plan review web portal account, you will need to reset your password.

Steps to reset password:

  • Click forgot password
  • Enter your existing username and NOT YOUR EMAIL as asked
  • An email will be sent to you with a link to reset your password
  • Enter your new password
  • Login using your existing username and NOT YOUR EMAIL as asked

Project Title Blocks

The city strongly encourages/ recommends use of the provided title blocks for projects submitted.

New Address Requests

Request a New Address 

Address Request processing takes approximately two business days. If you have any questions or want to check on the status of your request, please contact this office by emailing us at or by calling Plans & Permits at 330-375-2010 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.


Plans And Permits Inspections are to be scheduled 48 Hrs prior to work beginning.

Plans and Permits Inspections - 330-375-2055
Sewer Inspections - 330-375-2666
Water Service Inspections - 330-812-7822
Zoning Inspections - 330-375-2055

Applications and Contractor Registration

Contractor registration renewal period starts June 1st and ends June 30th.

Contractor Registration                                                     Contractor Registration Renewal 

See below for all city Applications. 


List of Available Applications


The City of Akron will continue to review ALL projects within the City of Akron limits. Summit County Department of Building Standards will do a separate plan review simultaneously.

City of Akron building permits (e.g. HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, and Structural) inspections will be performed by Summit County Department of Building Standards. Their contact information is:

1030 E. Tallmadge Ave.
Akron, OH 44310
Ph: 330-630-7280
Fax: 330-630-7296
Website:  Summit County Department of Building Standards


Who issues my building permits and who do I have to submit plans to for review?
Why does the Summit County Department of Building Standards issue my building permit and not the City of Akron?
How do I submit my plans to the city?
The Summit County Department of Building Standards has reviewed my project but will not issue my permits. Why?
How long will my project take to review?
As a contractor, do I need to register with the City of Akron to work in Akron?
My project has been rejected by the Zoning Department. Does this mean I will not be able to build my project?
I need a Certificate of Occupancy for my business. Where do I get it and what do I need?
Can I use the Certificate of Occupancy from the previous business owner?
I am going to replace my driveway/parking lot. Do I need a permit for this?
I want to replace the sidewalk and drive apron in front of my home. Do I need a permit for this?
I am going to do some landscaping around my home. Do I need a permit?
I am going to build a retaining wall. Do I need a permit and where can I build it?
I want to build a fence on my property. Do I need a permit and how close to the property line can I place it?
I want to finish my basement. Do I need a permit?
How long is my permit good for?
If I do not use my permit, may I get a refund?
What is a SWPPP and why do I have to submit one for smaller projects less than one (1) acre?
Now that I have to submit a SWPPP for all projects, do they have to be submitted by a licensed design professional?
Who do I contact for inspection?
Do I need a permit for a garage sale?
Do I need a permit for a home security system?
The power company will not turn my power on until I get my service inspected. Who does this?
Do I need a permit to have a block party or host a charity event on public property?
Do I need a permit to have a party at Lock 3?
Do I need a permit to film a movie in city limits?
Does the City of Akron require a point-of-sale inspection?
Why do Pit Bulls have to be registered and not other breeds?
Can the City of Akron take my dog if I do not register it?
Do I have to register my dog if it's a mixed breed?
Do I only need to register my dog once?
Do rental properties need to be registered?
How do I find out if a property has orders to comply?

Contact Us

Contact Us

Plan Reviewer Contact Info

Plan Reviewer Contact Info

Additional Resources

Commercial Project Review Requirements
Residential Project Review Requirements
Right-Of-Way Project Review Requirements
Akron Engineering Standard Drawings
2021 ROW Regulations
Contractor Sub List Instructions
Akron Municipal Code
Permit Fees
Sample Site Plan
Condensed Concrete Sidewalk and Drive Apron Specifications
Sewer Fact Sheet
SWPPP Check List & Specs (Less than 1 acre)
Industrial Pretreatment (FOG)
State of Ohio Vehicle Maximum Legal Dimensions/Weight
Sidewalk Cafe
Pit Bull Ordinance
Plan Notes
Commercial invoice example
Residential Invoice Example
Maintenance Of Traffic Notes
Water Distribution Standard Drawings